RETURN TO PRESS MENU
- Tetris is one of the top-selling video games of all time according to the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition.
- Entertainment Weekly – Patrick Stewart is an admitted Tetris "addict." (October 1995)
- Entertainment Weekly – Beyonce Knowles says she liked Tetris while growing up. (March 2009)
- "The Simpsons" has included references to Tetris in multiple episodes, including "Strong Arms of the Ma" and "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo."
- Tetris has been referenced on numerous other popular animated television shows, including "Family Guy," "Futurama," "Captain N: The Game Master," and "Muppet Babies."
- Tetris has been mentioned on many popular television shows including "The Big Bang Theory," "Revenge," and "The Office."
- Tetris was the first video game to make it into space according to the Guinness World Records 2014 Gamer's Edition.
- The Tetris theme song is an instrumental arrangement of a Russian folk tune called "Korobeiniki." The song is so famous that it is now a registered sound mark in the U.S. and other countries.
- Tetris has even been played on the sides of buildings! In 2014, Drexel University's gaming department played Tetris on the LED lights that cover the north and south faces of the Cira Centre building as part of Philly Tech Week, breaking the previous record for the world's largest working game of Tetris, set in 1995 by the Dutch students of the Delft University of Technology, who lit up 15 floors of their Electrical Engineering Department.
- In 2013, General Motors used the Tetris brand's famous Tetris pieces and iconic music to promote its 2013 Chevrolet Traverse.
- Even artists love Tetris! In January 2009, an outdoor art exhibit in Sydney, Australia featured giant Tetrimino sculptures that lit up the corridors of Abercrombie Lane.
- Director Adam Cornelius's 2012 documentary Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters chronicles the lives of several top Tetris players as they prepare to compete in the 2010 Classic Tetris World Championship.
- The Tetris game has been used in over 30 scientific studies, ranging from its effects on PTSD and brain efficiency, to treating amblyopia (lazy eye), and controlling diet and other cravings.
- A fully playable recreation of the 1984 version of the Tetris game was on display in New York City's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). The Tetris Company presented the game as a gift to MoMA in recognition of the Tetris game's achievement in interactive design.
- Tetris was featured in the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games closing ceremony, where a huge colorful game of Tetris was played on the stadium floor and the Tetris pieces spelling out the phrase "I'm Possible."
- Zürich police introduce the Tetris Challenge (#TetrisChallenge), a trend that went viral among law enforcement and firefighting agencies around the globe in which police officers and firefighters are photographed laying on the ground with their vehicle equipment arranged in a Tetris-style pattern.
- The game show Jeopardy! challenges contestants with incorrect Tetris fact, which is quickly brought to light by fans on social media.
- “Tetris” starring Taron Egerton premieres globally on Apple TV+ on March 31, 2023. “Tetris” tells the unbelievable story of how one of the world's most popular video games found its way to avid players around the globe. More Info
RETURN TO PRESS MENU